Thursday, August 18, 2016

Profiling Prolific Red Wolves #1: Jeremy "Astate Fan Rules" Harper




In this day of smart phones, ever polarizing social media and Uber drivers there comes a time in every sports programs life when a brave, and brash figure takes a stand and becomes a driving force behind further perpetuating his or her's beloved team.

....Then there is Jeremy Harper. AKA "Astate Fan Rules." First associated with the program in the early 90s, neither he nor the entire ASU fandom would realize the impact he would have on all us Red Wolves with his wit, charm and love for hats. Currently a writer for the newly launched "Forgotten Five" website, Jeremy was very kind enough to hop along the Ramblin Post to begin a series highlighting some of the well known "Astate figures" throughout the land!

On this first edition of talking with notable Astate Figures, find out about Jeremy's (Rulez as I like to call him) induction into Arkansas State (and how it was almost over before it hardly began!), the lowest point as a fan for him, why he was initially "Meh" when Astatae changed to Red Wolves and more!!



Question 1: Set the stage for us; what was pre "Astate Fan Rules" like prior to becoming a member of the Red Wolf cult?

Aimless and directionless, just like the athletic program. Honestly, I wasn’t a very good fan.


Question 2: Tell us (in graphic details) the moment or situation you first became exposed to Astate? Did you become a fan that very same day?

It was the day I enrolled for fall semester, 1992. In those days, Arkansas State was vastly overshadowed by UofA and to some degree, even UALR. I accepted my scholarship with hardly any knowledge about the university. The first football game I attended was against Southern Illinois. The Indians hadn’t scored all year ­–­ three straight shutouts to Toledo, Oklahoma and Northern Illinois. When we scored against SIU, the scoreboard displayed a message: WE SCORED! I immediately became a fan. How could I not?


Question 3: Did you immediately adopt the "Astate Fan Rules" mantra or did it evolve in time?

After graduating in 1996, I became a terrible, horrible, not very good fan. I lost nearly all interest in Arkansas State. I was working on a career. Fell in love. Got married. Bought a house. Had a kid. Had another. I attended at least one home football game a year, but I had given up believing A-State could ever be more than a less-than-mediocre program. But then the Miracle on the Bluff happened. Corey Leonard’s Hail Mary against Memphis made me realize that anything was possible. A few years later, Hugh Freeze’s undefeated conference season proved it.


Question 4: While we are all fortunate in that the program is experiencing consistent success, any real ASU fan will know and have felt the "Dark ages" of ASU football; can you recall to us the lowest of the low for you as a fan?

The Joe Hollis era wa horrendous. But the lowest point, was when the program introduced a new fan-friendly mascot called Red in 2003. I appreciated some of the thinking behind it, but the idea of a “spirit mascot” that did everything but raise spirits deeply depressed me. I felt that Arkansas State might never get it.



Question 5: and to quickly rebound, what moment did it make you realize things were on the upswing?

The Miracle on the Bluff ignited belief, but defeating Texas A&M brought another level of confidence in the program’s future. It was like watching a really good magic trick. How did Steve Roberts do that?



Question 6: Thoughts when you discovered we were retiring the Indians mascot? (and please say you weren't the contingent that was in support of "skeeters, peckers or engines")

I was all in on retiring Running Joe and the Noble Native American Head. To me, the mascot represented years of bitter struggle with few rewards. (Older fans disagree, for they remember the glory years in the 70s and 80s.) The process was intriguing and creative. It generated energy. My brother (Rex Steele) suggested The Mustard Gas. “We float into your city…and destroy you.”  Personally, I was keen on revisiting a former choice, The Gorillas. Everyone is afraid of gorillas. Mostly, I just didn’t want something passive and dumb, like The Ridge Runners. When the current mascot, The Red Wolves, was unveiled, I was conflicted. Jonesboro isn’t exactly teeming with wolves. But it’s useful. You can do stuff with it. Wolves are about teamwork and family. They can be fast and fierce. Best of all, we won as Red Wolves.


question 7: Quick hits on Larry Lacewell, Steve Roberts, Gus Malzahn, Hugh Freeze, Bryan Harsin, Terry Mohajir and your choice on an individual most important to ASTATE athletics Question

I named the concrete wolf in my backyard “Larry.” Every college football program needs a benchmark. Lacewell is a figure who tethers us to a past we remember fondly.

Steve Roberts is the architect of modern A-State football.. He was a master recruiter and the maestro of some of the program's most iconic wins. We owe him reverence.

Hugh Freeze was the controlled explosion that ignited the atomic blast.. He showed us what a little creativity and ambition can do for a small conference program.

I’m actually a big fan of Gus Malzahn. His hire is what launched A-State Fan Rules. Suddenly, the Red Wolves were being discussed on ESPN and, oddly, our own state newspaper. His defection hurt, but in a way, it was necessary.



I liked the idea of Bryan Harsin – young, offensive minded, hungry, and a fine pedigree. He never seemed to warm up to Red Wolves fans. I’d have liked to have had more seasons with Harsin, but I was not particularly devastated to see him move north.

Nobody believes in Arkansas State more than Terry Mohajir. God help us should evil forces mind a way to weaponize Mohajir’s energy and passion. He’s the Madman With the Plan.

Terry is critical to A-State’s future. Lose him, and we risk losing a great deal of momentum, enthusiasm, imagination and hope.


8: How would you describe the AState fandom and what can be done to further grow it (particuarly outside of northeast arkansas?)

I started A-State Fan Rules because I thought Red Wolves fans were unsophisticated amateurs. But I was terribly, horribly, condescendingly wrong. We just needed to believe in something. A-State fans are loyal, passionate fans who refuse to “know their role.” I love them all.

To grow the fan base, we must think of ourselves as the university’s ambassadors. People want to belong to something. As fans, we can  show that we belong to something special just by treating opponents with respect or being respectfully passionate on social media. Hell, wearing the right school’s merchandise to games was a great start. We are the ad campaign. We are fan recruiters. We are responsible for growth.


Question 9: What other teams/sports are you a fan of?

I love the Memphis Grizzlies and grew up with the St. Louis Cardinals. The US Olympic team always makes me proud.

Question 10: Why do you feel your contributions to Astate is best suited in blogging?

I’m not wealthy, so I can’t buy Arkansas State a new baseball stadium. I’m not connected, so I can’t influence legislation to be more fair to my program. What I can do is share my passion for Arkansas State. If what I write manages to stoke more of that passion, then I’ve made some kind of difference.




Thanks Jeremy for kicking this series off in your usual twisted yet candid nature! As we wind this blog down, I think their is only ONE fitting way to conclude it, and that is to say Rulez should reconsider his apparent past dabbling as a cowboy...




No comments:

Post a Comment